Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017 - and surprise I end up stuck in Bali again

It has been a busy year during the last few months of 2017. 
With my Balinese friends trying to apply for visas to visit Australia and having the applications rejected twice. This to me was an eye opener and the first dealings i have had with the Immigration Department. Given that the area I live in has a huge population of refugees, I assumed that to come to Australia it must be relatively easy just for a 10 day holiday. I now have an appreciation of the freedom Australians have to travel pretty much anywhere we want to. 
Well i was totally wrong and after realising that 2017 was not going to be the year my friends would get to see Australia, i acted on plan B. 

I would go to Bali for 6 nights. (without telling many of my family and friends ) I was off on an adventure on my own to visit my friends and family in Bali again on 22 November.
I had booked my flights on 15 September and luckily travel insurance on that day as well. 
As Mt Agung decided it might like to make it known that it was still an active volcano and start rumbling for the next 3 months, with earthquakes and movement happening but not much smoke from the top. So I watched and looked at the data being supplied each day from the volcanists and Magma Indonesia and some trusted facebook pages with daily updates. 
And off i went to begin my 6 nights adventure to Bali. 
I arrived safely and was greeted by my friends at the airport, it was so good to see them again. This trip was mainly to see my friends and new friends and a few adventures and tours. But not as many tours as my May visit. 
I spent my first night staying in Ubud, at Kori Ubud. Where my adventures all begin in October 2016. Where i was greeted by staff who remembered me from my last visit. I stayed in the Luxury suite as a treat for myself. OMG it was so huge and lovely, i felt like a queen. 
With breakfast included the next morning. 
As my friends were not able to come to Australia, I organised for them to stay with me in Sanur for a few nights. 
Day 2 - Our first night was with Sanur Beach Villas, we stayed one night here, a nice swimming pool. But not quite what we were looking for in accommodation. And as it rained really heavily that night we didn't get to venture out to see the beach or night markets. But had pizza delivered which was nice.

Day 3 & 4 - We were very spoilt with my next choice of accommodation still on the edge of Sanur, but about 1 km away from the beach. The Samata villas. We had a 2 bedroom villa with a private pool, 24 hour butler service, room service and the most yummiest breakfasts in the morning either at our room or in the restaurant. I was in heaven. 
We had so much fun here, in the gym there was a boxing ring, so i was entertained for a while , while my friends reenacted a boxing match.  I joined in the staff aerobics class, and laughed through the whole class as i am so unco-ordinated and the women in Bali learn dancing skills and balance from an early age as part of their culture. Table tennis matches until we finally decided it was time for food in the restaurant. The food was delicious and has a healthy theme to it. 
We enjoyed this accommodation for 2 nights and I highly recommend this location to everyone. It is not near the shopping area or restaurants but if you want a quite place this is it. With views over the rice fields and in the distance the Sanur beach. We had the choice of 4 pools to swim in. 
Booked through www.cantikbalivillas.com an Australian website. 











During this time Mt Agung decided to let the world know that it really was active and blew a big grey puff into the air, which resulted in Volcanic ash floating towards the airport and you guessed it no planes in or out of Bali for a week. 

So what was i to do? 
Hang tight enjoy the remainder of my holiday and not stress about when i would get home, until my original flight date on 28/11 arrived then I had official confirmation that I wasn't going to get home that day, due to the airport being closed and no flights available. 

Day 3 - tour day - Goa Gajah and Tampaksiring Journey  and Tegalalang Rice Terraces 
I had a very nice day accompanied by my friends sister and my driver. We visited Tirta Goa- Elephant Cave ,this time i wanted a photo of the cave entrance which i didnt get in May. Also to explore around a little bit more. 








Tampaksiring Journey is a lovely place to visit for lunch or explore, the structures are made from  bamboo and there are turkeys and birds that populate the gardens. This place is more a locals visiting place than tourists and it has very tranquil gardens. Except in the wet season when the mosquitos are around. 




 

Our next stop was to visit a stall selling postcards and sarongs at Tegalalang Rice Terraces, this stall is a little bit lower than the road on the side overlooking the rice terraces. You can try on the yoke and the man will show you how to walk through the rice terraces. (with a donation ) and have your photo taken. I did purchase a sarong from here and it is one of my favourite purchases from Bali. Check out the smaller stalls in these towns as these people usually don't get many sales but have dependents that they must look after. Just one sale a day can make the difference between feeding the family or not some days. 





We finished the afternoon off with a late lunch at Green Kubu. This cafe had just opened in May when i did my bike ride. They have the most amazing fresh food and pizzas, and cheap meals. Surrounded by lily ponds and on a sunny day umbrellas and bean bags can be seen scattered around the grassed areas, overlooking the rice fields.

 




My originally planned 2 last nights were spent back at Kori Ubud, where i returned to my Luxury suite again and 2 pools to choose from for my daily swim. 

I attended the English speaking church service on the Sunday night at Hill of Shalom, Ubud. 
It was a good service and the community are very welcoming for any foreign visitors to join in. Followed by mexican restaurant in Ubud. 

Then came the time to downgrade my accomodation , so that i could stay for however long i was going to need to. 
Part 2 to be continued....... 
#thesamata #greenkubu #tegalalangriceterraces #ubud #tampasiringjourney #elephantcave 

No comments: